Friday, May 16, 2008

A window into the near future

This afternoon we're going to visit our former neighbor who has 14-month-old twin boys. Each time we visit, it's an eye-opening experience. I remember watching her feed them at the same time as newborns and thinking I'd never be able to pull it off. Then, when they came to our baby shower in Annapolis as five-month-olds, I remember wondering how they made it out the door that morning. And when I last saw them, they were 9-months-old - only a little older than Eleanor and Ian are right now. Both boys were scooting on their bellies to get to their mother and whining to be picked up. At the same time. I remember thinking that it looked a little tricky.

Ian's scooting and whining now (not literally right now - right now he's sleeping peacefully in his crib upstairs). He likes to check out shoes, dog toys, and electronic gadgets. Yesterday morning, in the course of an hour, he made four frightening moves:
  1. Crawled over to the outlet in his room where the humidifier is plugged in
  2. Crawled onto a bookshelf in the living room (I was freaked out but impressed with this)
  3. Crawled over the threshold of the back door, which we leave open for Jorge (this left my little guy dirtier than I've ever seen him - it was his first mid-day clothing change that wasn't the result of a bodily function)
  4. Crawled over to explore Jorge's food and water bowls

By the time their morning nap came around, I felt like I'd had an entire day's worth of new experiences.


Thankfully, Eleanor still enjoys sitting and rolling. The scooting she does tends to be backwards, lodging her under furniture. She gets very frustrated, but at least she doesn't get very far.

I don't know what I'll do when they're both moving ... I'll have to watch the other twin mom today for some strategies.