Thursday, March 21, 2013

Day 7: Galway

When I woke up (late) this morning, I could hear the TV in the other room. When I got up and came into the living room where the kids were, I realized that it was Irish children's programming- the equivalent of Sprout. I am so glad that we found it, because a morning TV has become a special vacation routine for us. Everybody wins. Eventually, I called the McFaddens to let them know about our arrival tomorrow while Kevin took the kids on a windy walk along the promenade in hurricane-like conditions. Fortunately, I was able to reach Paul McFadden (my grandmother's cousin) and the kids didn't get blown into the ocean! In the afternoon, we had lunch in a pub, listened to some live music in another pub, and saw one of the Galway sites- the Spanish Arches, built in 1584. Amazing.

Tomorrow, we head to Creeslough, Letterkenny, Donegal, where we will get to explore my mother's family's roots. My great grandmother was born there. We will visit and stay overnight with the McFaddens. I am doubtful that we will have access to wi-fi, so I will post here again when I can.