Monday, March 25, 2013

Day 8: Galway to Creeslough, Donegal

(Day 8 of our trip was a few days back, but we didn't have internet access for the last few days in Donegal and Derry.)

I was so excited to visit the Irish relatives in Creeslough, Donegal, so much so that there was a risk of disappointment if the visit didn't go well. Creeslough was extremely remote and rural but finding it was not as challenging as I'd expected because we had a good GPS system with the rental car. We arrived a little later than expected and Annie was at the door to greet us. She had several of the grandchildren there with her, so we got to meet some of them. More grand kids showed up and whisked Ian and Eleanor off to play (and watch a lot of tv). When Paul arrived home, he took Kevin and I to see where my great grandmother and his his father were born, as well as where their parents were from. We went past Doe Castle and drove along Atlantic Drive. Creeslough and its surroundings are absolutely amazing! When we arrived back at Paul and Annie's we had a roast with potatoes and veggies (or "veg") with Paul, Annie, their daughter Sadie, Paul's brother Samuel, his wife Sheila, and their granddaughter Emma. Sadie took me into the other room and helped me to work through the McFadden family tree, which I have handwritten on the kids' drawing paper and will type up when I get back home. We finished the night in front of the tv with beer and Irish football.



















No comments: